Classroom reno under way. This is the before.
Classroom reno under way. This is the before.
It was so difficult to say goodbye. At 18, she lived a long, full, life. She was the best dog and we loved her so much. Our family is sad and our house feels a huge void without her. We told the kids Friday afternoon, so they would have some time to process it and spend some extra time with her. We loved on her, gave her a bath, a few extra blankets, I cooked her a large, juicy, steak. We chose to have the vet come to our home on Saturday. When the time came and she arrived, we gathered around Kylie as a family, prayed over her and said our goodbyes. Jase and I stayed with her and loved her until the end. I still can’t believe she’s gone. We’ve never been a family without her and we will miss her tremendously.
I’m counting this photo in my 365 even though it wasn’t taken on Saturday. I just couldn’t pick up my camera on this day.
You will be sad I understand,
But don’t let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn’t want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where my needs they’ll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don’t grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We’ve been so close–we two–these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.
1. Ty recently turned 16. 16 y’all. He’s so grown up now. Pictures forthcoming….as soon as I get around to taking them! I have to twist his arm and bribe him these days. The teenage years y’all…..I’m a big mix of proud and panic. His time here at home with us is going by way too fast. 3 years….I have 3 years left with him at home. I just want to say that’s not long enough, I need more time, why does it have to go so fast?! Hey universe, that’s not fair. This feels like yesterday.
2. Ty isn’t the only one who turned 16 this month….this old girl turned 16 too. I swear she has the fountain of youth pumping through her veins. We love you Kylie girl!
3. Ty is currently at the beach visiting my mom and step dad and I’d give my left arm to be over there too! Oh how I wish I could pack up my family and go for a few weeks. We aren’t quite ready to try and make the trip with Jude again. The biggest challenge is finding food we can eat there. Good news is that Whole Foods is building a new store in Mobile, only 45 minutes from her house at the beach, slated to open in 2015. I’m already planning trips in my head.
4. I got word tonight that Ty and my mom are going parasailing tomorrow. OMG. Coolest grandmother ever award goes to my mom! Seriously, what grandmother does that….goes up in the air 800 ft over the Gulf of Mexico. He’s going to remember this for the rest of his life and so help me if someone doesn’t send me a photo I’ll develop a twitch! Way cool, Gee, way cool!
5. When I was a kid I have fond memories of sitting on the porch with my grandmother talking about hot air balloons. She always wanted to go for a ride in one and spoke of it often. They lived out in the country, in Aurora, Oregon and we would often see hot air balloons in the area. I wish more than anything that I’d been able to do that with her and made that memory with her while she was alive. My grandmother and I were super close, so much like Ty and my mom. Someday, I’m going to take that hot air balloon ride in honor of her. I love love love that my mom is taking the bull (er….parasail) by the horns and creating this memory with Ty. My mom is rad, y’all.
6. Jonah is officially army crawling and is on the move, big time. He discovered he can leave the living room when we set him down with his toys. He’s also discovered the fireplace, my planters, the kids homeschool workboxes, the mini blinds on the back door, the dogs feet, the dishwasher and he scowls in confusion at the photos in the 10 foot photo frame in the foyer. I imagine he’s trying to figure out why the dog is up there and he is not. Easy answer kiddo….your momma is a slacker!
7. Or he could be wondering why the dog is so.freaking.big. It reminds me of a great Larry story. My step dad is not a dog person. Or an animal person, in general. I wasn’t allowed to have pets growing up. So when we went to live with my mom and Larry after Hurricane Katrina, we had Kylie with us. It was fairly easy for us to just not tell him and have Kylie live outside temporarily on the down low. Larry has a spinal cord injury and wasn’t getting around much at that point. Anyway, one night he was watching tv and was facing the french glass doors leading out to the back yard when he pipes up and says “Jane, that sure is a big ass cat staring at me.” I have NO IDEA how my Mom kept her composure but she did and we are all still getting a good laugh about it 8 years later. So freaking funny! I still don’t think Larry knows that “big ass cat” was our 70 lb Kylie dog! Ha!
8. Our other (idiot) dog happened to jump up on top of the washer and ate a whole entire bottle of grapeseed extract. She was sick for about 5 days. Maggie finally started to feel a bit better last night after we gave her some bones straight out of our broth that was cooking. I’d like to say she probably learned her lesson, but I doubt it based on all the random crap she’s eaten in the last 2 years. One thing we are sure of, Maggie is yeast and parasite free!
9. If you missed it, go check out our birthphotographers.com facebook wall. I shared some absolutely stunning images submitted by our members honoring dads for Father’s Day this past weekend.
10. I am officially back to photographing births again! If you know anyone looking for a birth photographer, please send them my way! This birth junkie is thrilled to be back!!!!
Just a quick snapshot of Jonah loving on Kylie. Our old girl turns 16 pretty soon. She’s been super patient with the baby. More so than Maggie, ha! She’s such a great dog, when she isn’t driving me crazy. And she apparently has the fountain of youth running through her. 16?!?!
We finally got to pick up our new puppy and bring her home to stay today. I’m pretty sure this face says it all….
Yes, excitement doesn’t even begin to describe it! So far (knock on wood) she and Kylie are getting along fabulously. Kylie is such an amazing dog, we’re hoping some of her pure awesomeness will rub off on her. A few snapshots from her first afternoon home…
Me = Melt…
I did take some shots of Maggie and Taryn but Taryn wasn’t exactly dressed so I don’t want to post them. Hopefully my kid will stay dressed long enough for a few sharable photos tomorrow! All in all, a great first day! I love the way she bumbles around. Sometimes she runs two feet first and it cracks me up. Her feet are huge. Our backyard is on a slope and she kept loosing her footing and rolling over and down, so clumsy! She chews on ev.ery.thing. The second you pick her up she turns into a little snuggly bear. The kids drove us absolutely nutso today. Turns out it isn’t the puppy that is a lot of work, it is the kids who just got a puppy! Yes, we counted the seconds until bedtime tonight. Hopefully Maggie Mae will do great in her crate tonight and sleep. Ty is presently rough housing with her in an attempt to make her good and tired before bed.
ps. Her full name is Maggie Mae Fluffernutter Stradtner. Yes, we caved (slightly) with one of Teagan’s random weird name requests. I can live with it.